With the goal to create a diamond for everyone, Daniel Swarovski laid the cornerstone of his crystal empire in 1895 in Wattens, Austria.
He had invented an electric machine that allowed him to cut glass far more precisely than it was possible by hand. By developing and manufacturing the tools necessary to grind the glass jewellery, Swarovski was also able to build up a vast knowledge of grinding. Only 24 years later – on 13 February 1919 – the company TYROLIT was registered, named so for a mineral of the same name found in the region.
Quickly realising the potential of the innovative industrial grinding tools beyond self-provision, TYROLIT soon supplied manufacturers in Austria as well as in Germany, Italy and Russia with grinding wheels. In 1950, TYROLIT management decided to move headquarters to the neighbouring city of Schwaz, to allow the business to grow and develop independently. With the completion of the first factory buildings at the new location, customer demand grew significantly. And as TYROLIT started to produce bigger grinding tools and acquired more and more customers in many countries, production capacities soon had to be expanded. Within a few years, the company had established itself as a global brand in 54 countries all over the world.